With the cold weather and my office sounding like a TB clinic, I thought I’d warm myself up – and help my immune system – with a hot toddy. I’m not much of a drinker, but now and again (especially when I’m at a regatta party in the summer) I like to have a Dark & Stormy (a trademarked drink made of Gosling’s dark rum, ginger beer, and a twist of lime). So, I thought I’d create a hot toddy that reminded me of a Dark & Stormy.
GINGER RUM HOT TODDY
Note: Makes 2
- 3-4 oz dark rum (depends how strong you want it)
- 4 teaspoons raw tupelo honey (or other local raw honey)
- Juice of 2 key limes (or one Persian/regular lime)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 “shakes” of ground cloves
- 2 tea bags of 100% ginger tea
- 16 ounces boiling water
- 2 8-ounce mugs
1. Steep two tea bags of ginger tea in boiling water for 3-5 minutes.
2. While the tea is steeping, in each mug pour 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of dark rum, 2 teaspoons of honey, and juice of one key lime (or half a Persian lime).
3. Fill mugs with ginger tea. Add 2 shakes of ground cloves in each mug, and stir each mug with its own cinnamon stick.
Serve hot. (And I suggest not driving afterwards!)