Welcome to my tenth and final installment in my natural immune booster series. It’s been quite a ride, learning about all the wonderful benefits God has placed in His creation for the healing of our bodies. We have learned about coconut oil, oil of oregano, manuka honey, goldenseal, garlic, tea tree oil, echinacea, ginger, and turmeric. (If you missed any of those, please see the links at the end of this post.) Today, we will learn about colloidal silver.
Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical practitioner of any kind, and this series of articles on natural immune boosters is not intended to diagnose or attempt to cure any disease. This series is for informational purposes only. If you have a medical condition, please see your medical practitioner for professional advice.
Colloidal silver. What a strange sounding name for a natural immune booster, right? Well, the name is very descriptive of what it is. Yes, it is actually silver – ground into very fine particles that can penetrate on a cellular level. A colloid contains particles of a substance that is broken down and suspended in a liquid. Thus, colloidal silver is silver particles suspended in water.
There hasn’t been as much medical research on colloidal silver as on some of the other natural immune boosters we’ve studied, but there is still evidence from traditional (“alternative”) medicine that colloidal silver is an antibacterial, antibiotic, antiviral, and antifungal that boosts the immune system. For centuries, silver was used as an antibacterial/disinfectant. It was also used in wound dressings in ancient times, as well as in the U.S. after the Civil War, because it repairs skin and tissue damage and decreases scarring.
After the 1930’s and the advent of pharmaceutical antibiotics, the use of medicinal silver waned. Along with the switch to pharmaceuticals, medical doctors were warning of the side effects of taking too much silver and/or for too long. Because silver is easily absorbed, excessive amounts can accumulate in the body and cause a permanent, irreversible condition called argyria, which causes the skin to turn blue or blue-gray. It can also wreak havoc on proteins and make some medications ineffective. Finally, pregnant women should not use colloidal silver because of the possibility of fetal abnormalities.
Yet, in spite of Western medicine’s disapproval of colloidal silver, many natural health practitioners are rediscovering its health benefits and prescribing it to their patients. The Silver Safety Council has even developed guidelines for the safe use of colloidal silver. The doses are based on type of use – daily, short term (for treatment of illness, for example), and over the course of a lifetime. In no case should the addition of daily and short term use be greater than the safe lifetime dose.
Here are the formulas (ppm = parts per million of the colloidal silver supplement and “/” means divided by):
- DAILY DOSE: 12 x (your weight in pounds) / ppm = drops per day
- SHORT-TERM DOSE: 120 x (your weight in pounds) / ppm = drops per day
- LIFETIME DOSE: 306,600 x (your weight in pounds) / ppm = drops over your lifetime
In any case, it’s best not to take colloidal silver without discussing it first with your medical practitioner, especially if you have a medical condition or are taking prescription medications. Also, colloidal silver may decrease good gut bacteria, so you should take a probiotic supplement or drink kefir a few hours after taking it.
So, what exactly are colloidal silver’s benefits? How does it work? The most beneficial use of colloidal silver is as an antibiotic or antibacterial. Studies have shown that pure silver quickly kills bacteria, even super bugs like MRSA. (See the reference links below for more information.) The silver acts as a catalyst and disables the enzyme in cells that is required by anaerobic bacteria (bad ones – good ones are usually aerobic), viruses, yeasts, and molds to survive and multiply. It basically works against the life cycle of pathogens. There is no known disease-causing organism that can live in the presence of even a tiny amount of silver. Lab tests have shown that anaerobic bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasite eggs are killed on contact with silver. Because of this, many hospitals use silver-coated surgical and catheter instruments along with silver ointments and dressings. The best part about colloidal silver’s antibacterial action is that bacteria do not develop a resistance to it, as they often do with pharmaceutical antibiotics.
Other benefits of colloidal silver:
- Effective against infections, colds, flu, and parasites
- Claimed as a potential treatment in HIV/AIDS (there isn’t any scientific research to back that claim, but there are instances of lengthy survival rates of patients who use colloidal silver)
- Recalibrates cells’ rates of division, so it may protect the body from developing cancer
- Effective dressing for burns because it increases healthy cell growth and wards off infections
- Increases the health of the digestive system and maximizes the nutrients the body extracts from food
- Destroys water-borne parasites and filters out impurities
Uses for colloidal silver:
- Spray on burns to prevent infection, decrease the time it takes to heal, and reduce scarring
- Spray/dab onto ringworm, boils, herpes sores, or warts to increase healing
- Put into a nebulizer for bronchial problems or walking pneumonia
- Take a small daily dose to boost the immune system
- Take at the onset of cold or flu symptoms
- Put drops into ears, eyes, or nose to heal infections
- Apply topically for vaginal yeast infections or oral thrush
Again, please seek the advice of your medical practitioner before using colloidal silver. My doctor recommended it to me as a way to strengthen my immune system when many of my coworkers were coming to work sick with sinus infections and flu symptoms. I took the colloidal silver according to the directions on the bottle, in addition to my daily vitamins, and I didn’t catch anything my coworkers were passing around.
Do you take colloidal silver? Is it in your home farmacy?
For further information on colloidal silver, please visit these sites which I read in preparation for this post:
- Colloidal Silver: What You Need to Know
- Colloidal Silver
- Guidelines for the Use of Silver Supplements
- Colloidal Silver is an Antibacterial, Antifungal, Antiviral Miracle (mentions several studies)
- Ten Ways to Use Colloidal Silver’s Amazing Healing Abilities
MORE IN THE NATURAL IMMUNE BOOSTER SERIES