Have you ever harvested Swiss chard, trimmed them for dinner, then felt bad about throwing the stems into the compost pile? I did and wondered just how I could cook those stems up and eat them rather than throwing them away. Well, I tried roasting them. OH, MY GOODNESS!! They were awesome! And so simple to make.
Roasted Swiss Chard Stems
- Stems from Swiss chard or perpetual spinach (which is related to chard)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Dried basil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut chard stems into 3-4 inch pieces and lay on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil. Spray a little olive oil on the stems.
3. Sprinkle with sea salt and dried basil. (You can substitute or add any herb you wish.)
4. Bake until tender – about 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of your stems.
This makes a great appetizer for company or a snack for yourself. And what a great way to get all the nutrition in those stems.