One of the signs in the Lowcountry that spring is coming is the announcement by Clemson University Extension of the annual Carolina Yard Gardening School. I attended last year, and it was the best gardening seminar I have attended to date. Just last week, I was chomping at the bit, waiting for this announcement. I am already registered and excited to go! If you live in the Charleston, SC area, please seriously consider attending.
The Carolina Yard Gardening School will take place on Saturday, March 22, 2014, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time in the Commercial Exhibits Building at the Charleston Exchange Park (a.k.a. Fairgrounds) in Ladson, SC. The cost is $75 and includes a soil sample analysis, lunch (which was awesome last year -and includes the option for vegetarian and/or gluten free!), and the following classes and workshops:
The Key Note: “Making it Grow” Live Show – gardening show with Q&A. You get to ask a question during the registration process, and your question might get chosen for the show.
Your choice of two of the following lectures (my choices are in bold):
- A Salvia for Every Garden
- Rooted in History: Saving & Growing Heirloom Vegetable Seeds
- Integrated Pest Management in Your Backyard
- Living Along the Shoreline: Coastal Stewardship for the Gardener
- Let’s Grow Roses
- Exploring the History of Rice Cultivation in South Carolina: Where De Rice?
- Principles of Southern Landscape Design
Your choice of two of the following workshops (my choices are in bold):
- Spring Planted Bulbs for Southern Summer Gardens
- Garden Fresh Cooking
- Put a Song in the Garden: Creating a Haven for Backyard Birds
- The Worms Crawl in, the Worms Crawl out: Worm Composting for Gardeners
- Preserving the Garden: Pressing Flowers and Foliage through the Seasons
There will also be gardening vendors, gardening books and supplies for sale, Master Gardeners available to answer questions, and a full day of learning with fellow gardeners! What a great way to spend a Saturday.
Print a detailed agenda when you register here. Don’t wait too long – slots fill up quickly!
Hope to see you there!