This is my first year growing tomatillos. In fact, I’ve never seen a tomatillo outside of the grocery store – until now. I have my first few fruits starting to grow. They look like paper lanterns! Well, I’m so excited about being able to harvest my own tomatillos, all I can think about is using them to make guacamole. I love guacamole, and I’ve tried several recipes. But I wasn’t truly happy until I experimented with a recipe or two and came up with my own perfect mix of ingredients. Soon, I will be able to harvest most of the ingredients from my own garden. If you’re looking for a guacamole with a little more personality, try my
KEY LIME GUACAMOLE
- 3 large avocados, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 2 Tablespoons key lime juice (fresh or bottled – though fresh is tangier!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 tomatillos, diced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed then diced
- Pinch or two of cayenne pepper
1. Mix avocados, key lime juice, and salt well.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
3. Cover bowl and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
Serve with tortilla chips or toasted pita.